Discover Dance Program
Discover Dance is a program held three times per year to help new dancers sample the types of dances that will be taught in upcoming 4 week sessions, before committing to an entire session.
Who would benefit from the Discover Dance Program?
- Those who have never danced before, and have no idea where to start
- Those who believe they may have been born with two left feet
- Those who have taken a few classes, but haven't practiced, and would love a refresher
- Those who have know a couple of dances pretty well, and are ready to try another dance style
- Those whose partner has dragged them, kicking and screaming, into trying dancing!!
The Discover Dance Program gives you a chance to jump in and sample some different dance styles... you can choose to try all the dances during the day, or pick one or two that you think you might like. For a brief description of the dances offered, check out our "Dance Styles" tab.
How it works: We run four 45 minute classes during the day. Within each class, we teach the basic rhythm of four different dances, and a cool move or two for each dance. We give you practice time at the end of each class, where you can try the moves, and get help from instructors if you need it. We take a break for dinner, and then come back for a special review class, in which all the dances that were taught during the day are recapped. Shortly after, we teach a fifth beginner class, and then we play music in a social dance setting to give our dancers the opportunity to get further practice. The more practice you get during the day, the higher the probability you will retain the information. Our instructors will also be on hand throughout the evening to assist with any questions you may have, or to help you out with moves you may have forgotten.
Discover Dance is a program which gives novice dancers like you a chance to try out a few different dance styles before committing to a full dance session. This way, there is a higher chance that you'll end up signing up for a dance class that you love, rather than getting part way through and realizing that it's just not the dance for you.
Lastly, remember that you'll be with other people just like yourselves... new to dance, maybe nervous about getting started... it's always a little more difficult when you don't know quite what to expect. Even those suave Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers types started from the same place where you are now... at the beginning!! Discover Dance is a non-threatening environment, designed to put you at ease, and help you take the first step towards what could become a lifetime love of dance!
Discover Dance, September 15, 2012
What people are saying about Discover Dance:
- "Excellent instruction and value. Can't wait to do it again!"
- "Danceworx is an enjoyable, stress free learn-to-dance experience. We met new people and had loads of fun!" Paul and Sharon
- "We will definitely go back for more lessons and to learn different dances. They have generated a great ambience or culture, if you wish to use that word. I am completely uncoordinated, yet they make me feel comfortable, free from stress, and so does the group, so I am better able to learn. Fabulous."
- "Fantastic professionally run Discover Dance program. Lots of fun, and Debra is wonderful and helpful. We will be using their business into the future."
- "It was a wonderful experience! Debra has just the perfect personality to host this function. It was fun and welcoming. There was nothing intimidating about the experience and I loved how casual it was and the wide range of people that attended. I would highly recommend it!"
Come and see for yourself!....
Our latest Discover Dance was held on April 13, 2013 at the German Canadian Club. We are holding our next one on September 14, 2013 from 12:30PM - 4:45PM, again at the German Canadian Club. To ensure a graceful evening of dance, we reconvene at 7:30pm (for Discover Dance participants ONLY). This class is designed to review all the dances that were taught during the day, so participants can recall the dance styles, and try them out on the dance floor for the social! To register for the next Discover Dance, find the Paypal link at the top of our Home page. For a very limited time, the cost for this entire day of dance is $30 per couple.
September 14, 2013 Schedule for Discover Dance
LOCATION: German Canadian Harmonie Club, 1696 Cary Road, Kelowna
12:30pm - Beginner East Coast Swing
1:30pm - Beginner Two Step
3:00pm - Beginner West Coast Swing
4:00pm - Beginner Cha Cha
7:30pm - Doors open for Discover Dance participants only (exclusive review class)
8:15pm - Doors open for Evening Social
8:30pm - Beginner Nite Club 2 Lesson
9:00pm - Social Dancing - Time to put your feet to the test!!